Thomas W. Cushing concentrates his practice in the areas of products liability, transportation law, and commercial litigation at the trial and appellate levels.
Mr. Cushing has acted as sole trial counsel or lead trial counsel of a trial team in jury trials tried to verdict in both Illinois state courts and in federal court. He was lead trial counsel for a defendant railroad in a train/bus accident case that involved over 300 depositions. He has presented oral arguments before the Illinois Appellate Court and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Cushing is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame Law School. As a law student, he served as an Editor of the Notre Dame Law Review. He also received his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame.
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School, cum laude, 1987
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1984
- Leading Lawyer (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 (Product Liability Litigation-Defendants)
- Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1991
- United States Supreme Court, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2013
- Notre Dame Law Advisory Council, 2010-2011
- Notre Dame Law Association:
• President, 2010-2011
• Board Member, 2003-Present
- Lyons Township High School District 204 Board of Education:
• President, 2015-Present
• Board Member, 2012-Present