Stetson F. Atwood has extensive litigation and trial experience with a primary focus on defending medical negligence claims against hospitals, physicians, and nurses. He also has successfully defended numerous matters involving home healthcare nurses, long term care providers and paramedics. Mr. Atwood had tried numerous cases to verdict in Illinois and Indiana which achieved excellent results for his clients.
Mr. Atwood was recently elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the International Society of Barristers. He was selected to Super Lawyers for 2016 – 2022. Super Lawyers is an exclusive list of top-rated attorneys in specific practice areas who were chosen after thorough evaluation of numerous criteria. Between 2013 – 2021, Mr. Atwood was named a Leading Lawyer. In 2022, Mr. Atwood was identified as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” for medical malpractice law – defendants.
Mr. Atwood speaks frequently at client and bar association meetings on issues including risk management, managing malpractice lawsuits and strategies for depositions and trials. Mr. Atwood served as a member of the firm’s management committee between 2018 – 2022.
Mr. Atwood graduated from Creighton University School of Law in 1994.
- J.D., Creighton University School of Law, cum laude, 1994
- B.A., Syracuse University, 1989
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2016 – 2022)
- Leading Lawyer (2013 – 2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 (Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 (Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants)
- Illinois, 1994
- Indiana, 1997
- Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers
- International Society of Barristers
- American Board of Trial Advocates (2021)
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
Mr. Atwood has given various presentations regarding risk management strategies and litigation to nurses and physicians at local hospitals in the Chicagoland area, some of which include:
- Professional Liability and Navigating a Deposition (May 2013)
- Lessons Learned During Medical Malpractice Litigation – Nursing Grand Rounds (June 2014)
- Medical Professional Liability (January 2015)
- Illinois Institute for continuing Legal Education – Pretrial Preparation in Civil Practice, Written Discovery & Requests to Admit or Deny (March 2012)
- Presentation to Nursing Staff at nationally known hospital – From the Bedside to the Courtroom, Lessons Learned from Medical Malpractice (2014)
- Illinois Institute for continuing Legal Education – Pretrial Strategy in Civil Practice, Rule 213 Disclosures (May 2014)