Stetson Atwood and Scott Kater successfully defended a Chicago area hospital in a medical malpractice lawsuit involving allegations against the hospital and a neurosurgeon related to the performance of a ...SEE MORE
Scott J. Kater is an associate at Donohue Brown focusing on professional negligence defense, general liability defense, and product liability defense, and commercial litigation. He has experience representing clients in court as well as drafting memorandums, motions and other legal documents.
During law school, Mr. Kater was recognized with three CALI Awards for Academic Excellence in the areas of legal writing and advocacy. He also participated in Moot Court, winning both the 2014 Appellate Lawyers’ Association competition and the 2015 Loyola Intraschool Competition. Mr. Kater also represented Loyola in the 2016 Andrews Kurth Moot Court National Championship Competition, where Loyola finished 5th overall and Mr. Kater was recognized as the country’s Third Best Speaker.
During law school, Mr. Kater served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Judge Raymond W. Mitchell, Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2016
BA. in Political Science, Miami University, Oxford OH, 2013
- Minors in Business Legal Studies, Management & Leadership, and Latin American Studies
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch 2023
- Legal Malpractice Law
- Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- CALI Awards for Academic Excellence in the areas of legal writing and advocacy
- Moot Court winner in the 2014 Appellate Lawyers’ Association competition
- Moot Court winner of 2015 Loyola Intraschool Competition
- Illinois, 2016
- Northern District of Illinois, 2016
- Central District of Illinois, 2018
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Medical Malpractice, 2022 Edition
Legal Aid ClinicOutcome:
Entry of Injunction Upheld on Appeal.
DBMS obtained a temporary injunction against a pro se plaintiff due to the litigant’s repeated, frivolous filings against a Legal Clinic and two of the clinic’s attorneys. The plaintiff filed ...SEE MORE